River Park Trail
Trail and park bench system in the heart of historic Ste-Agathe.
Fully lit for evening walks and bike rides.
Patio located in middle of community at the south end of the trail.
Outdoor exercise equipment soon available.
“When we create, let us think we create for an eternity” VLB
Cheyenne Steamboat Story
As the fur trade grew, the Red River became a major thoroughfare. Thus, the steamboat became the method of travel. The Cheyenne Steamboat was built in the winter of 1873-74 in Grand Forks and mainly served as a freighter on the Red River for the Red River Transportation Company.
The cheyenne steamboat, measuring 55 metres long and 11 metres wide and weighing over 45 metric tonnes, boasted 14 staterooms, a cabin, a cookhouse, an engine room, a pilot house and a saloon. The boat was originally a single-decked side wheeler, but a second deck was added in 1879 when the steamboat was remodelled.
According to persons who were in the area at the time, 1 of the 2 rusty boilers on the Cheyenne had blown up. It was thrown overboard to lighten the weight at Sainte-Agathe where it sank on June 2, 1885. After that the Cheyenne was towed to Winnipeg and was torn apart.
The “boiler” was discovered and rescued from the river mud in 1981, by H. Baudry Construction (1980 Ltd.) and Albert Bilodeau, Supervisor for Manitoba Disaster Board, when a flood dike was constructed at the South-end of the town to protect houses close to the river bank. The “boiler” was restored by Trojan Board Ltd. of which Robert Newman is the President and Vaughan L. Baird, Q.C., L.L.D., is Vice-President.